The headland of Pen Bal Crag
“The place where now stands the Monastery of Tynemouth was anciently called by the Saxons Benebalcrag” -Leland at the time of Henry VⅠⅠⅠ. So began the history of Tynemouth – its Priory, sacked by the Danes in 800, and Castle walls, started in 1095. Three Kings were buried within – Oswin, King of Deria (651);Osred, King of Northumbria (792); Malcolm ⅠⅠⅠ, Kind of Scotland (1093). Three crowns still adorn the North Tyneside coat of arms.